Award terms and conditions
When you receive an award notice from NSF, it will specifically identify certain conditions that are applicable to, and become part of, your award.
Part II of NSF's Proposal and Award Policies and Procedures Guide (PAPPG) covers the NSF award process, from issuance and administration of an NSF award through closeout. When your award notice's conditions reference a particular section of the guide, that section becomes part of the award.
NSF's Conditions webpages provide the full text of the terms and conditions used to manage NSF grants and cooperative agreements. Topics covered on these pages include awardee responsibilities, federal requirements, pre-award costs, no-cost extensions, significant project changes, travel, allowable costs, project reports, final report requirements and more:
- Grant General Conditions
- Research Terms and Conditions
- Cooperative Agreement Conditions
- Special Conditions for NSF conference or group travel awards, awards made to international organizations, or awards involving international research.
Together, the PAPPG and the award terms and conditions detail NSF's administrative requirements, cost principles and audit requirements for its awards. If these two documents are silent on a specific area covered by 2 CFR § 200, the requirements specified in 2 CFR § 200 must be followed.
Oversight and monitoring guidance
As a part of its oversight and monitoring of its funding portfolio, NSF may choose to undertake one or more of the following reviews to assess your organization's ability to administer your NSF award:
Training tools and guides
Use the checklists and guides in this section to verify that your award management practices meet NSF's and federal requirements.
- Prospective New Awardee Guide
- Participant support costs self-assessment tool (View an interactive version of the PDF)
- Travel costs self-assessment tool (View an interactive version of the PDF)
- Recording project-related indirect cost recovery charges
- Allowable and unallowable costs
- Subrecipient monitoring self-assessment tool (View an interactive version of the PDF)
- Consultant services self-assessment tool (View an interactive version of the PDF)
- Award Cash Management Service (ACM$) payment procedures and calculations tool
- Constructing effective policies and procedures tip sheet