NSF Research Traineeship program expands to include 43 states
The U.S. National Science Foundation announced 22 new awards through its NSF Research Traineeship (NRT) program. The $58 million investment, including $6.9 million of support from the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, expands the program to comprise 43 states, the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands. This NSF program supports graduate students, educates the STEM leaders of tomorrow and strengthens the national research infrastructure. The awardees, including two from the newly added state of Missouri, will focus on research and development in artificial intelligence and quantum information science and engineering -- both national priorities of utmost importance.
"NSF continues to invest in the future STEM workforce by preparing trainees to address challenges that increasingly require crossing traditional disciplinary boundaries," said Sylvia Butterfield, acting assistant director for NSF's Directorate for Education and Human Resources. "Supporting innovative and evidence-based STEM graduate education with an emphasis on recruiting and retaining a diverse student population is critical to ensuring a robust and well-prepared STEM workforce."
The NRT program advances research by training graduate students in interdisciplinary or convergent research areas through a comprehensive traineeship model that is innovative, evidence-based and aligned with evolving workforce and research needs. The institutional support provided through the program creates opportunities for transformative research.
These ambitious NSF-sponsored projects will delve into machine learning, neuro-engineering, quantum computing and networks, and robotics.
NSF Research Traineeship 2022 awards
- Integrative Training in Quantum Assembly and Technology, University of California, Santa Barbara*
- Quantum Networks Training and Research Alliance in the Southeast, University of Georgia Research Foundation Inc., and the University of Tennessee, Knoxville*
- Cultural Change and Social Equity as Drivers for Convergent Research in Water and Material Circularity, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
- Integrating Robots into the Future of Work, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Graduate Traineeship on Advances in Materials Science using Machine Learning, The University of Akron**
- Artificial Intelligence for Arid Land Agriculture, New Mexico State University**
- Stakeholder-Guided Environmental Science, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi**
- Science to Policy Education: Activating Knowledge for Sustainable Transportation, University of California, Riverside
- Interdisciplinary Graduate Training through Research in Artificial Intelligence and Secure Networked Sensing to Mitigate the Crisis of Alcohol and Drug Abuse, University of Missouri-Kansas City
- Linking Quantum Sensing Technologies across Disciplines: a Convergent Quantum Sciences and Engineering Graduate Training Program, Washington University in St. Louis*
- NeuralStorm Taking Neuroengineering by Storm, University of California, Davis
- Design and Manufacturing of Medical Devices and Implants: Cultivating a Human-Centered Mindset, Arizona State University
- Transdisciplinary Convergence in Educational Neuroscience Doctoral Training Program, University of Connecticut
- Harnessing the Data Revolution to Enable Predictive Multi-scale Modeling across STEM, Michigan State University
- Nanoscience Connected to Life: An Interdisciplinary Traineeship Program in Bioinspired Nanotechnology, CUNY Graduate Center
- Codes For Life - Artificial Intelligence and Sustainable Software for Biomolecular Interactions, Rutgers University-Camden**
- Human-Machine Systems for Physical Rehabilitation, Cleveland State University
- Understanding Invasion and Disease Ecology and Evolution through Computational Data Education, Arkansas State University
- Interdisciplinary Training in Data Driven Soft Materials Research and Science Policy, University of Pennsylvania
- Dependable Data Driven Discovery, Iowa State University***
- Water-R2O: Research to Operations in Data-driven Hydrologic Forecasting and Decision-making, The University of Alabama***
- Engendering the Spirit of Gadugi at the Food-Energy-Water Nexus, Tennessee Technological University**
*Award partially funded by Quantum Information Science and Engineering
** Award partially funded by the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 (Public Law 117-2)
***Award partially funded by EPSCoR
Read more about the NSF Research Traineeship program and visit nsf.gov.