Section of Integrative Activities
Catalyzes and incubates NSF-wide initiatives, promotes STEM talent and advances agency policies and research infrastructure.
The section prototypes and coordinates large-scale cross-directorate initiatives, including:
Awards and internships
The section administers several prestigious honorary awards and professional internship programs for aspiring scientists and engineers:
Broadening participation in STEM
The section hosts the Committee on Equal Opportunities in Science and Engineering. CEOSE advises NSF on approaches to encourage the full participation of underrepresented groups in the nation's STEM enterprise.
NSF policy and practices
The section supports NSF policy analysis and improvements to the agency's management and practices. It:
- Hosts the Advisory Committee for Environmental Research and Education.
- Hosts NSF's Career-Life Balance Initiative.
- Coordinates Committees of Visitors to NSF.
- Provides annual merit review reporting to the National Science Board.
- Serves as liaison to the Government Accountability Office and is the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) Contact liaison.
- In 1990, legislation establishing the Science and Technology Policy Institute (STPI) as a Federally Funded Research and Development Center (FFRDC) designated NSF as the sponsoring agency and the Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP) as the client. STPI provides analyses of national and international science and technology issues important to OSTP and other federal clients, including the NSF. In November NSF will be conducting a five-year review of STPI for the time period covering 2018-2022. See .