About the series
Synopsis of Program:
NSF’s Directorate for Computer and Information Science and Engineering (CISE) is providing information on the Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program solicitation NSF 19-582 via a webinar on August 6th, 2021 starting at 12:00 pm ET.
The REU program supports active research participation by undergraduate students, and proposals submitted to CISE should have a strong computing or cyberinfrastructure aspect and involve CISE majors in the cohorts and CISE faculty researchers as mentors.
The NSF-wide REU solicitation governs the overall competition. The following clarifications/explanations are specifically for REU Site proposals submitted to the CISE/CNS.
- CISE-funded REU Sites host between 8-10 students for a summer program lasting 8-10 weeks long.
- Over the past several years, Site awards to institutions have the predominant costs under the Participant Support Costs (PSC); typically, PSC constitute 70% or more of the Total Direct Costs. Student stipends are expected to be approximately $600 per student per week, and meals should be budgeted for at least $140 per week or based on an estimate provided for a residence hall dining plan. Housing costs should be based on costs provided by housing office or other relevant party. Housing must be provided for all REU students. Local students participating in the REU site should receive a housing stipend if they are not staying in the housing provided by the REU Site.
- CISE REU Sites must use the NSF Education and Training Application (ETAP) to manage student applications and collecting student demographic information.
- CISE REU Sites are encouraged to participate in the program evaluation “Comparative Evaluation of Undergraduate Research Opportunities on Student Interest in Research Careers in CISE Fields” conducted by the Computing Research Association’s Center for Evaluating Research Pipeline to fulfill the evaluation requirement of the REU Sites program. Submit an interest form to sign up and for a statement to include in your proposal. If you choose to participate in this evaluation, you do not have to include evaluation in your budget.
- A maximum of 1-month salary for the PI and an additional 1-month salary distributed across Co-PIs and senior personnel is allowed.
- You do not need to budget for travel to PI meetings or student travel to present at conferences. You will have opportunities to request funding for travel as needed through separate venues.
Interested PIs are advised to explore the Online Directory of CISE REU Sites to determine the scope and breadth of fields funded under our program.
The webinar will include a briefing on the CISE REU program and key solicitation requirements followed by a question-and-answer session. Prior to the webinar, you can submit questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following webinar has concluded please email email@example.com for any follow-up questions you have.