Important Changes to the NSF Engines BAA for Type-2 Proposals
The U.S. National Science Foundation’s (NSF) Regional Innovation Engines (NSF Engines) program has revised the Broad Agency Announcement (BAA) for Type-2 NSF Engines program proposals. Type-2 proposal submitters are strongly encouraged to review details in the relevant sections of the NSF Engines BAA. The revised BAA and key related resource documents were published on October 17, 2022. An overview of these changes can be found in the bulleted list below.
- Type-2 proposals must be submitted by January 18, 2023, at 5:00 p.m., submitter’s local time.
- Type-2 proposals must be prepared and submitted via Research.gov. The NSF BAAM Submission Portal cannot be used to submit Type-2 Engine Proposals.
- Type-2 Letters of Intent (LOI) must be prepared and submitted via the NSF BAAM Portal.
- New preparation and content requirements have been added to subsection A.4.2 Project Summary for Type-2 Proposals.
- The project description must now include a separate section labeled Broader Impacts. See subsection A.4.3 Project Description for important preparation instructions.
- Type-2 proposals must now include a Region of Service map that defines the proposed region of service by state(s) and counties. The document must be submitted as a supplemental document. (See subsection 5.8. Region of Service Map in the Engine BAA for tools, instructions, and other resources to help you create your Region of Service map.)
- Type-2 proposals must include a Mandatory Disclosure document consenting to the disclosure of the summary information. (See section A.6.4 of the Engines BAA for preparation instructions and specific content that must be included in the disclosure.)
- The Existing and New Resources to be Made Available for the Project document must now be submitted as a supplemental document.
- New instructions have been added to subsection A.4.7 Current and Pending Support and subsection A.4.8. Facilities, Equipment and Other Resources under Type-2 Proposal preparation instructions.